Founder "World Peace Games," Teacher and Educational Consultant
A native Virginian and graduate of Virginia Commonwealth University, John Hunter is an award-winning gifted teacher and educational consultant who has dedicated his life to helping children realize their full potential. Employing his background as a musician composer and filmmaker during a three-decade career as a teacher, Hunter has combined his gifted teaching and artistic talents to develop unique teaching programs using multimedia software programs in creative writing and film courses.
For more on John Hunter, click here.
Scott Barry Kaufman, PhD
Author of "Ungifted: Intelligence Redefined"; Scientific Director, The Imagination Institute, University of Pennsylvania
Scott Barry Kaufman is a cognitive psychologist interested in the development of intelligence, creativity, and personality. He applies a variety of perspectives to come to a richer understanding and appreciation of all kinds of minds and ways of achieving greatness.
For more on Scott Barry Kaufman, click here.
Little Miss Vegan, Carlsbad, CA
Senna recently turned 8 years old -- with some hesitation, as she so enjoyed 7, but she went for it anyway. She's an enthusiastically homeschooled kid, with honorary membership at a wonderful Montessori school, a home teacher she adores, and plenty of activities like art classes (on a farm) and swimming. She was born with multiple, life-threatening food allergies and asthma, which she now loves to teach others about dealing with in a positive way. Senna also adores animals, and, when she is not otherwise occupied reading about them or fundraising for them, likes to write about them (and why she doesn't eat them) on her blog, VeganKids.net.
OSTI Award: Carla Sanger, M.Ed
Since 1988, Carla Sanger, M.Ed has served as President and Chief Executive Officer of LA's BEST (Better Educated Students for Tomorrow) After School Enrichment Program. In the span of her over 45 year career, Sanger has been a specialist in children's education policy and advocacy in both the public and private sector. She's worked as a public school teacher in Baltimore, was a curriculum writer, the supervisor of day care services for the state of New Jersey, Executive Director of LA Child Care & Development Council, President of the California Children's Council and co-chair of the California State Department of Education Task Force on School Readiness. In 1969, Ms. Sanger also co-founded a K-12 school (Nuevo Colegio Bilingue Larchmont) in Bogotá, Colombia, that remains active to this day. As an activist in the after school movement, Ms. Sanger led efforts to help write and support California's Statewide Proposition for after school (Prop 49) creating a $500 million funding stream for the children in the state. She created the League of California After School Providers and established "Beyond the Bell"-- the first central division in the history of LAUSD with a shared vision for after school. Most recently, she helped lead a successful community response to save funding for LAUSD's Youth Services program. She is currently advocating for expanded learning programs to be added to the national education reform debate.
For more on Carla Sanger, click here.
Join the nation's largest, most recognized and comprehensive conference for after school and out-of-school time professionals. Set in a retreat-like atmosphere, this extraordinary event will rejuvenate your passion and boost your direction for quality programming.
We invite you and your team to experience the most invigorating blend of:
• Networking and teambuilding opportunities - over 2,000 global out-of-school time professionals
• Over 125 exceptional workshops to help you learn and grow
• The latest trends and research in innovative and quality out-of-school time programming
• In depth learning sessions through our 1-day Pre-Conference Academy
• Opportunities for targeted conversations and learning through Inspiration Stations
• Legacy Summit sessions to support working with older youth- the largest convening of out-of-school time professionals working with middle and high school programs
• Master Classes taught by world-class experts of a discipline
• BOOST Nation: Town Hall- public meetings with national leaders and public figures
• Connections with over 125 Exhibitors sharing the newest resources, products and services to enhance your programs
• BOOST Film Festival featuring films highlighting relevant topics in the education field including issue relating to today's youth
• Options to earn transferrable college credits through University of California, Irvine (UCI) Extension
• Opportunities to experience guest speakers, authors, special events, and entertainment that will inspire you to create change
• Healthy meals and plenty of sunshine in beautiful Palm Springs, California